Saturday, February 17, 2024

Mulch

While the felling of our tall cedar tree, with its high-wire chills, was exciting, what happened with the branches was no less fascinating. They were all ground into a fine mulch with a machine the crew parked in our driveway. The mulcher ran most of the day, devouring the trees branches, leaving only the trunks on the ground to be dealt with.

I didn't get a photo of the machine itself. The ground tree limbs filled up the truck a few times. You can see the dust accumulating on the deck railing (bottom right).

The mulching process was messy. It left a layer of fine sawdust and small chunks of wood on our terrace and on the ground around the machine. I don't think the crew realized how much wood dust there was on the deck until I asked them to clean it up. It was starting to look like a red clay tennis court. The guy who did the clean up used a leaf-blower to clear the deck. It took him about fifteen minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I admire you for asking them to clean it up. I might have said never mind and then spent hours on my own. What a process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a load of that mulch.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, once I realized you were taking that photo from the deck, I realized how huge that mass of mulch was. Wow! Did you get to keep any of it, or do they take it all?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!