Thursday, July 04, 2024

A choke of a different color

The volunteer artichoke out in the vegetable garden plot is blooming. Instead of the deep blue/purple flowers I'm used to, its flowers are very nearly white.

Just a hint of blue.

Yesterday, I spent a good hour hacking at the big forsythia, something I do every few years. It gets too big and unruly and it's impossible to mow around. There's a little more to do, but it's minor. The cut branches are now piled in the vegetable garden plot for the summer. The leaves will dry and drop and I'll dispose of the branches themselves in the fall.

This morning the weather is lousy. We have 15ºC (about 60ºF) and drizzle. On the bright side, it's preferable to a hurricane.

4 comments:

  1. So beautiful! We had an old forsythia in Connecticut planted too close to the deck. I had to cut it back every year although I hated to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting about the artichoke flowers being a different color this year. I wonder what caused it.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lousy weather, sheeesh.
    Happy 4th, though! Here, it is hot and muggy. Very very muggy. It was drizzling for hours this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, I think they'd take over if we let them. But that flower show every spring is impressive.

    bettyann, I'm not sure why. This is it's second year, and I think last year's flowers were the standard blue.

    judy, ugh, that heat and humidity combo is horrible. I remember it well from DC and even upstate NY.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!