Saturday, July 27, 2024

Friday's sunrise

This is looking back toward our hamlet from out among the vines at sunrise on Friday. Guess what! This morning the rain is back. It's not predicted to last long, and then we're in for another mini heat wave.

Fields of grass, Queen Anne's lace, and, of course, grape vines.

I watched the entire Olympics opening ceremony last night, including some of the pre-show events. It finished at about 23h30. Parts of it were peculiar, but most of it was amazing. Especially considering that it rained (in Paris) during most of it. But the rain didn't dampen the athletes' spirits or diminish the energy of the light shows and dance numbers. I was confused at times during the parade of nations. I didn't know that Puerto Rico was a nation. Same for the US Virgin Islands. And I lost count of how many nations' names begin with the letter "m." Quite a few, it turns out.

Curiously, the parade (on boats down the Seine) seemed to be organized alphabetically in French, but the flags identifying each nation were in English. It was a little confusing to see "Chad" among the T's. In French, it's spelled "Tchad," but the flag said "Chad." There were a lot of curiosities like that.

12 comments:

  1. I can’t believe I didn’t watch any of the opening ceremonies. I’ll have to do catch up. The photo is grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If French bureaucracy/organization starts to entirely make sense, something is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I missed the opening ceremonies as we don't have cable tv! I want to see a video of them floating down the Seine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered about the names they were showing on TV... I knew that they were presented alphabetically by French name, but I wondered if maybe the American TV was just only showing the English name. I guess not! I enjoyed the opening ceremonies... watched parts of it twice! It meant more to me once I Googled around to find who the performers were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary in Oregon27 July, 2024 17:08

    Yesterday morning I was so excited when I researched how to view Opening Ceremonies to learn NBC would be broadcasting it on their regular Basic TV Channel! FREE! So within 5 minutes I was at my TV at 9 am (PT) and it didn't end until 2:30 PM. Phew! Exciting, confusing with the countries (like you, Walt!) and that RAIN! RAIN! RAIN! I loved the large head backdrops in the Seine! Lady Gaga's performance, couldn't believe that crazy guy carrying the torch across the roofs of Paris! It was exciting to see Rafa carrying the torch (but not happy to see Zideine (sp?) given exposure after that horrendous Head Pop years ago in Soccer (he lost my support). I was confused as in french we are Les Etats-Unis - so I was thinking we would be in line in the "E" countries - no - at the end with the other nations with the largest number of athletes. What do you think about India - with less than 5 (?) athletes when they have the second largest population of any country on our planet? Obviously, their government doesn't value the Olympics - or perhaps even sports??? This was one of the first times I was able to watch the Opening Ceremony and LIVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was confused by the placement of the US also. However, I looked it up and it turns out that the next host city comes second to last in the lineup. We are hosting 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation.
      BettyAnn

      Delete
    3. Actually, India has now surpassed China in population.
      BettyAnn

      Delete
    4. Sorry, I meant this for Mary

      Delete
  6. Mary in Oregon28 July, 2024 20:57

    Yes, Anonymous, after I finished my comment, I realized host cities were at the end of the parade! And, thanks for the population update, BettyAnn! I might need it when I return to my new hobby of attending Trivia Night every other Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary in Oregon28 July, 2024 21:01

    India sent 117 athletes to Paris, so I must not have seen that number correctly on my TV. Sorry, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen any of it but from comments on the Book of Faces

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!