Friday, July 19, 2024

Machinery and the mosquito man

Here's another shot of the vineyard sprayer that's been working out back over the last few days. At least, I think it's the same one I've seen plying the vine rows recently. It was parked out there (under the walnut tree) for a couple of nights, but now it's gone. Yesterday, Tasha and I had to navigate around the moving sprayer so as not to A) get run over, and 2) have to walk through a cloud of chemicals.

Vineyard sprayer.

That reminded me of a Wanda Sykes bit we recently saw on Netflix: The "mosquito man." Ms. Sykes hilariously recalled how, when she was a kid, she and the other kids in her neighborhood would follow the sprayer truck that was part of their local mosquito eradication program, running through the clouds of what likely included malathion and who knows what other chemical insecticides. "It's the mosquito man!" they would gleefully yell when the truck appeared. I, too, remember the "mosquito man" from when I was a kid, although I don't think we called him that. And we, too, would follow behind, running through the clouds of insecticide. Good times! Cough, cough.

3 comments:

  1. These hoyos are wonderful. I had an art professor who was seriously into “industrial art.” It’s all he painted and all he wanted from us. I never appreciated it as much as I appreciate your photos. I just saw that Wanda Sykes clip and laughed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm from New Orleans (possibly Wanda too?) and we had the "fog truck" come thru the neighborhood regularly...and looked forward to it with glee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes me itch to think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!