Saturday, July 13, 2024

The north side

Nobody sees this side of our house, unless they walk around to the north forty. Our deck wraps around from the east side and becomes a narrow overhang on the north. It's too small to be useful and I often wonder why it was done this way, except that it makes washing that living room window very easy. And it provides a protected spot below to store firewood.

The unglamorous north façade.

This cool, even cold, weather is really bugging me. The temperature on this mid-July morning is a crisp 14ºC or so, mid 50s F. We expected this kind of temperature when we lived in San Francisco's fog belt. But it feels weird here.

Our village held it's July 14th fireworks last night. I watched from the north side window in the loft (not visible in this photo). Boom!

6 comments:

  1. A charming view. If done only for aesthetics, I can understand that wraparound. But I do wonder why they didn’t just make it a broad wrap for another seating area, lots of plants, you name it. We hit 100˚F yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't suppose that it is missing a set of steps down to garden level at the right hand end...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That part of the deck is useful. I watched fireworks from our den this year and enjoyed them very much that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That side looks so nice! I can't believe how ridiculously chilly your weather is for summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary in Oregon13 July, 2024 23:36

    That extension is also handy should there need to be a window replacement! My kitchen window does not have a deck extension even though it is just two feet further than the deck and on the same side of the house. It is 2 1/2 stories above the ground. So...no new window there and I have not painted the exterior of the house, either. I will extend the deck when it is replaced to make painting and window replacement possible. Is that cold weather going to interfere with the Olympics? I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 14C ! My goodness we have 45C !

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!