Saturday, July 06, 2024

Ouch!

These are some of the thorny blackberry brambles, commonly called ronces in French, that grow in our hedges. This year they've been most aggressive, taking advantage of a very wet spring to advance into new territory. Each spring, Ken goes out with gloves and pruning shears and tries to cut the worst of them back. I don't know of any way to actually eliminate them short of burning down the hedge. Even then, I'd bet that the brambles would survive.

Cut ronces on the ground. You can see some more growing out of the hedge in the top left and right of the photo.

If they're not cut back, they will reach out into the yard looking for new places to spread. They're a danger to anyone who gets close, which I often do while mowing. Their thorns are strong and sharp and they can pierce clothing and still draw blood. They're a scourge! And their fruit isn't even good to eat.

7 comments:

  1. And their fruit isn’t even good to eat... What a waste. I’m sure you’re right that the brambles would survive incineration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first read the word "blackberry" I was visualizing the reward of having the brambles with some good tasting fruit. Sorry that the fruit isn't even good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can here now is the refrain from Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans":

    "Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles and they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoicks! This is me!

      Sassybear
      https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

      Delete
  4. They are related to triffids on the mother's side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I think they could survive nuclear war.

    michael, so disappointing!

    judy, :(

    sassy, the rabbits (hares) around here stick mainly to the vineyards. ;)

    michael, that explains a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!