Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Trimming the verge

I don't think Americans use this word the way other English speakers do. We use it more in the figurative sense to mean "the point beyond which 'x' will happen," like "I was on the verge of loosing my cool." The word means "edge" or "border" in its literal sense. Like "trimming the verge" in a garden or park, the border or edge of a planting bed.

As my grandfather used to say, "It's better than it is, wasn't it?"

That's what happened here recently. As the woods become overgrown, their edge gets closer and closer to the vineyard parcel. So, every once in a while, someone cuts back the verge. The French have a long tradition of working to control the landscape, often with spectacular results, as in château gardens.

6 comments:

  1. The verge looks really good now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it does look good, and I never, ever thought of verge being a physical thing! Woo hoo, I learned new words in two languages today, from you and Ken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That could do a great job behind your fence.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could be assisted that easily whenever I’m on the verge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. evelyn, all nice and neat!

    judy, cool!

    bettyann, it sure would be nice!

    mitch, :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary in Oregon11 July, 2024 23:33

    If my memory serves me correctly, Marcel Pagnol seemed to love to use the word, verge, when describing the Provençal hills and valleys. He was so descriptive of all the various types of greenery I think I could start a nursery!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!