Monday, July 01, 2024

Armagnac

I treated myself to a shot of armagnac on Saturday after lunch. Armagnac is a brandy made by distilling white wine and aging the result in oak barrels, much like its cousin, cognac. Often, brandies are served in a bowl-like glass called a snifter. I guess that helps to develop and capture the brandy's aroma, particularly the smokiness of the oak. I served this one in a shot glass. But don't gulp it down in one go. Brandy is meant to be sipped and savored slowly, and especially after a meal. Brandies are often referred to as digestifs. That is, they are believed to help with digestion. Works for me!

A nice shot of armagnac on the deck after lunch.


5 comments:

  1. Brandy works for me, too. I’m so tired of being “dry.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I had ever heard of Armagnac, until I started working in a fancy restaurant, back during college... never much thought about it again, and then discovered that there is a Chabot Armagnac! I've tasted it, but I don't like the taste of alcohol, so it didn't do anything for me, but the name was great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever had one. I will look for some on a menu to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, hang in there!

    evelyn, :)

    judy, cool!

    michael, have you had cognac? They're close. When you find one, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!