Sunday, May 03, 2020

Again with the seedlings

If all works out, we'll be planting these seedlings in the ground in a couple of weeks. I've thinned out the tomatoes and kept four of each variety (except for the yellow toms that didn't germinate). I plan to plant three of each (and maybe six romas), so the fourth is just insurance in case something happens to one of the three. Remember my tomato tripods from last year? My plan is to use them again, one for each variety.

Most of the toms, the zukes, and the pumpkins. There are some tiny habanero peppers on the left.

The basil is up and growing, too. Soon they'll need thinning and transplanting as well, but I want them to get a little bigger first. Some will go into pots on the deck, others will go into the ground. Last year the basil in the ground did very well, probably because of the hot summer weather we had.

Three pots of basil sprouts.

I thinned the pumpkins down to two, one rouge vif d'Etampes and one muscade. Next is the zucchini. I'll keep three of those. Two of them will suffice in the garden, the third is insurance.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you. This is really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mitch, Walt; you're doing very well...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it so difficult to toss out perfectly healthy seedlings so I admire your calculated decision making. Never tire of hearing (and seeing) about your progress in the greenhouse and the garden.

    Change of subject: did you two get around to cutting one another's hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again with the seedlings. Again with our pleasure at seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love seedlings. They are more joyous than puppies in their potential. Thank you for posting the photos.
    I get to garden through you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, I think it's cool. Things that I plant actually grow!

    jan, having a good time! The best part will be the harvest.

    sheila, I feel the same way. But it must be done! We have not tried to cut hair yet. Scary!

    bettyann, :)

    judy, it's true!

    michael, I like the desert, but it's hard to imagine growing food there. But still, no humidity!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!