Sunday, May 31, 2020

Grape flowers

The vineyards are in bloom. But you have to look real close to notice. The little flowers are not easy to see.

Grape flowers on the vine.

I think that pollination happens by the force of wind currents. I'm not sure if insects are involved much; I don't notice much insect activity when I look at the flowers. I read that most cultured grape vines self-pollinate, as they contain both male and female parts.

Grape pollen forms on the tips of the white stamens.

Our good weather continues. I was able to get to the market for more strawberries and asparagus. The vendor told me, though, that this was the last week for his asparagus. The local season is ending. Strawberries will continue through the summer.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Walt. I have been following your blog for some years now and also Ken's, I love reading about your life in France. I wondered when reading about strawberries and the market, why don't you grow your own? It's not difficult to have a strawberry patch and you are both keen gardeners and growers. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent question from Catbasket.

    Calla lilies are my favorite flower, thanks for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for replying to my question yesterday about the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating, and thanks for the great close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to have fresh strawberries !

    ReplyDelete
  6. catbasket, thanks! Good question. I have some raspberries, but they don't do very well. I'll have to think about strawberries. But the ones we get at the market are sooooo good!

    bettyann, you're welcome!

    mitch, I never thought or knew about grape flowers before moving here.

    michael, it is a treat, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!