Saturday, May 16, 2020

Market day

We went into the center of Sarlat for its Saturday market back in April 2006. The weather was good and the place was packed and bustling. Social distancing wasn't a twinkle in anyone's eye back then. The usual food vendors were there in abundance. I also noticed a preponderance of foie gras and other local duck product vendors, not to mention a good share of arts and crafts and souvenir booths, all geared to the tourist shoppers (like us).

Market stands and sidewalk cafés set up cheek-by-jowl in the streets of central Sarlat.

We enjoyed walking around in that atmosphere for a while that morning. Then, if I remember correctly, we looked for a place to sit and have lunch. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from, but I don't remember what we ate. Probably something ducky.

The Sarlat market is, of course, much larger than Saint-Aignan's weekly market. I wonder what it's like today.

I found out from Saint-Aignan's web site that our local outdoor market has reopened. I'm going to venture into town this morning and see what it's like. They moved the market to a larger place so, I assume, they can spread the vendors and shoppers out a little. I really would like to get some asparagus before the season ends and some local strawberries. I also need to go to an ATM, then get some gasoline for the lawnmower and rototiller. I'll take my gloves and mask, of course.

8 comments:

  1. Hope you're right now enjoying the outdoor market! Can't wait to hear (and see) how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel much more comfortable going to our open sided farm stand than the grocery store. Still there are many people not wearing masks around here

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you find some good asparagus and strawberries. Moving the market to a bigger place is wise as is the mask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our market opened yesterday and the number of vendors was two. It's still early here so hopefully things will pick up. I did get some delicious strawberries though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful, colourful place Sarlat looks to be. Hope you get to the farmer's market locally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy some strawberries and hopefully some asparagus, as well! The prices here have been very generous compared to some other staples that have significantly increased (milk and eggs, for ex.). With less pollution I can really taste a difference in the berries that I've been buying in the last month. When I was in Sarlat I wasn't there on a market day. Looks like I really missed out! Enjoying the smiles and laughs of others out for a look-see in a french market are such happy memories that will be in my future.

    Side note: my cat has long hair, not short hair like your Bert! The more combing and removal of that thick undergrowth the less I have to clean-up later on the floor (!) And, more importantly, he does enjoy it and even seems to ask for it by wanting me to accompany him into the laundry where I lift him up on top of the washer to start it. I also clean his ears frequently with a swab and check his nails. Getting a kitten into that routine early is key to an animal allowing that procedure later (although there continue to be small little bites that let me know he has had "enough" and that the clipping is done at that point!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you mean literal or figuative ducky? I have used the words 'just ducky' all my life to describe something nice. "lunch was just ducky" could mean pleasant or literal duck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mitch, it went well! A little weird, but well.

    melinda, I know what you mean. I went into the supermarket once for one thing very specific, and all I could think of was how to get out of there.

    evelyn, yes!

    lori, thanks, we are enjoying them.

    pats, thank you. It worked out all right!

    mary, I never thought it might be a long haired cat. Now it makes sense!

    michael, it could be both!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!