Thursday, October 21, 2021

The path to nowhere

I mentioned that, last July, I started digging out the rock/concrete border of the little path that makes a useless loop out in the south forty. I was using a pickax. Not fun, and not good for my back. And I didn't get very far before letting the project drop.

Before. Last July I pulled up one side of the border on a small section of the path. Look at those tall weeds!

Then, last week, the landscape contractor used his mini backhoe and made short work of the entire path, removing the rocks, the concrete, and the little stones that made up the walkway. What a relief!

During. This is the path after the contractor finished with the backhoe.

Now, I'm using up a big pile of mulch we've had for a couple of years to fill in the path. The goal is for the mulch to break down and that grass and the other wild plants that make up our "lawn" will fill in over the next years.

After. I'm filling the path in with much. The lawn will reunify in the coming years. I'll probably get rid of that green saxifrage in the spring.

The path was a barrier to mowing because of that rock border. Weeds and wildflowers grew up around the rocks and in the middle of the path and it was ugly, not to mention a pain to trim by hand. So now it's gone. We may need to get some bags of soil before spring to finish filling in the gap. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. I’d be out there figuring out what new gardens to create in all that space. You wouldn’t want me around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s fun to have a new look to the space you’ve lived with for a long time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks sooooo much better. I can imagine how happy you are to have thew rock gone.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks very good. What is saxifrage? Or, I should say, which of the plants in the photo is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I don't need any more obstacles to mow around!

    judy, I've lived in this house longer than anywhere in my life. It's a weird experience, replacing, renewing, updating...

    sean, oh yes. I've caught the mower blades on those rocks more than once!

    emm, the broad-leafed low plants under the prunus tree. That's what the previous owner called them, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! I’d plant a bunch of new garden beds and then I’d complain forever about the maintenance and the mowing.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!