Friday, October 15, 2021

Steamrolled

This is the rouleau compresseur (roller compactor or road roller) that the contractor used to compress the crushed granite layer in the garden path. Once that was done, he started pouring the gravel on top (picture coming soon), then compacted that. Et voilà, the path was done.

The crushed granite looks like concrete. The finish layer is made from small brown pebbles.

Another thing he did on Wednesday was to rip up that little garden path I've been bitching about for years now. It serves no purpose and its rock border made mowing the grass a real pain. I started to pull it up with a pick-axe back in July, but it was slow going because the border rocks were set in concrete. I mentioned all this to the contractor and he said, well, as long as we have the backhoe, I'll dig it all out. And so he did. And he took away all the debris. He'll add the cost of that extra effort to the bill.

I'm falling behind in taking photos of the finished work, but I'll get them done. The crew finished their work on Wednesday after taking down the two remaining birches. The machines were hauled away yesterday.

7 comments:

  1. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Your garden is going to look enormous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite exciting to see such progress. Just add it to the bill, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the granite wasn’t the last layer. Just like my almost homonym, I can’t wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, this is great news! I'm really looking forward to the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have had to ask if I could take that machine 'for a spin'! Boys and their Toys! Girls just wanna have fun, (too!) Looking good, Walt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be beautiful! Or more beautiful than it already is. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, your wait is over!

    andrew, it shouldn't add too much... I hope.

    chm, today is the day!

    judy, it's weird how we're having a pretty nice arrière saison!

    mary, those machines move way to slow. LOL!

    chris, it is nice to get something done that we've been thinking about for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!