Thursday, July 15, 2021

The path to nowhere

For years now I've been wanting to get rid of this little winding path through our back yard. It serves no purpose at all. It's more or less a gravel loop from the end of the main garden walkway to the middle of the main garden walkway.

A section of the little garden path, choked with weeds. I stopped treating them this year.

The problem with the path is that, as you can see in the first photo, it fills up with weeds. Every year I spray herbicide on the gravel to eliminate the weeds, which are never really eliminated. And the lawnmower will not cut the weeds on the edges of the path because it's lined with large rocks that catch the blade. The path is basically a useless waste of maintenance time and effort.

My first efforts: digging up the border rocks and concrete in this section.

So this year I'm starting the removal process. The first step is to take out the border rocks. It's taking a little more effort than I thought it would because, as I discovered, the rocks are set into a thin layer of concrete. I'm using a pick axe to break it up (not too difficult, but time consuming). Once the border rocks are gone, I'll start filling the path in with mulch. Over time the grass and weeds that make up the "lawn" will fill in and I'll be able to keep them under control with the mower.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the removal of these rocks. Please, be careful of your back. Don't overdo it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s always more work than it first appears. Don’t hurt your back. Enjoy the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very worthwhile project. As well as your back, I imagine your shoulders will feel the effects of the pick axe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A useless path to nowhere, covered with weeds - sounds like Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. chm, thanks. It will go slowly.

    mitch, that's for sure. Progress will happen.

    sillygirl, you mean the concrete? Yes.

    bettyann, not bad, so far. I'll take it slow.

    michael, ha!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!