Tuesday, July 06, 2021

Rosy

We didn't plant this rose; it was here when we moved in. Every year I prune it back and every year it makes these pretty pinkish flowers. But it stays kind of leggy, never really filling out the way other rose bushes in the neighborhood do. Maybe I should feed it more.

The color is not quite right in this photo, but it's as close as I can get.

Just in case you're wondering, our weather is not really improving much. Lots of wind yesterday and through the night with intermittent rain. I'm making a winery run this morning to stock up on rosé and red. I also plan to stop at a shop that sells curtains to check out what sizes they have. The sheers in our living room are eighteen years old and it shows. Parts of them are actually disintegrating. We planned to replace them last year, but then covid hit and the stores closed down. So we lost steam. Now it's time to get moving again.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, what a difference plant food makes. My mother had elegant lace drapes in her living room for 18 years. She decided to take them down and hand wash them in the tub. They came apart in her fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rose blooms look like root stock flowers, rather than the original rose plant.

    I don't know the modern term here and I know them as teralyne curtains or scrim. Are they what you call sheers? Lightweight, soft and white or lemon curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to be able to go to a store again, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to try growing roses; they were fussy in Chicago.
    I love them though my favorites are the yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, that's what happened to mine when I last washed them. They're hanging by threads.

    chm, ...is a rose. :)

    andrew, yes, almost see-through, usually white.

    judy, yes!

    michael, I don't think I have the touch, but I'm going to try feeding this one and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've had so much rain and yet there is no black spot on the rose leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!