Sunday, July 18, 2021

Le massif de marguerites

Here's our daisy patch, now in full flower. I suppose it qualifies as un massif, building on yesterday's post. In English, we might call this a flower "bed." In Britain, flower beds are also called "borders," usually planted with many varieties of flowers and shrubs. As Judy commented yesterday, the French use the word parterre (literally, "on the ground"), although I associate that primarily with flower beds in very formal gardens like the Tuileries or at Versailles, for example. They also use the word plate-bande to designate a "border" or any narrow strip of ground planted in flowers or shrubs.

Like a drunk in a midnight choir.

So that's enough language for today! Yesterday's predicted high of 27ºC (about 80ºF) never materialized. We just barely made it above 20º (about 68ºF). The weather people still say we will hit 27º and 28º today and for the next few days. We shall see.


  1. That’s a dazzling daisy patch, although I’ll call it a parterre, since it’s impossible for me to tell the difference between your gardens and Versailles.

  2. What a beautiful bright spot of white complimented by the green background.

  3. I love your massif de marguerites.

  4. So your daisies are trying, in their way, to be free!

  5. Thanks so much for additional clarification on these words for flower beds :)

  6. mitch, ha!

    bettyann, :)

    chm, they look their best right now, but soon the flowers will fade and die.

    kiwi, yes! Glad someone got it...

    judy, je t'en prie !


Pour your heart out! I'm listening.