Monday, July 26, 2021

Out with the old...

...and in with the new. Ken did this post yesterday, but I thought I'd do a version, too. We got a new sofa last week. The old one is now about ten years old and it shows. It's getting a little threadbare in spots. Plus, the last time we washed the cushion covers we had a hard time getting them back on. Two zippers broke. We decided it was time.

The chair on the left still has the old shabby slip cover, the one on the right has the new sleeker look.

We wanted a real three seater. The old sofa was a little smaller with only two cushions to sit on. And we wanted to change out the beige for a more interesting color. As you can see, the new sofa is blue. The two side chairs are from Ikea, bought years ago, with blue slip covers. The slip covers are also showing wear, so we're experimenting with new third-party covers. Ikea no longer has covers that we like, so the internet came to the rescue.

The old set-up in a photo from February 2016.

The next project is to replace the eighteen year old sheer curtains in the room. They are actually starting to disintegrate where they hang from the rod (you can see one of them starting to fall in the top photo). It was nice to clear everything out of the room and do a good cleaning behind and under things, including taking up the rug and mopping the whole floor. It's funny, but we've never lived in one place long enough to have to replace the things we bought or replaced when we arrived. Before our house could get dirty, we moved. Just kidding. Kind of.

17 comments:

  1. I like the look of the right chair. The third party slip cover seems to fit perfectly. I like too that you can see the legs. That way, the chair doesn’t look as bulky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I look at that blue candle holder, I deeply regret I didn’t buy the other larger two. Too late!

      Delete
  2. Looking good! SG’s sister and her husband used to joke that when the house needed repainting, it was time to build a new one. And until their most recent house, which they built when their kids were in college, they did follow that rule. This house has been repainted a few times, which really frustrates his sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new lounge looks much better. It's a good choice but I am not sure about keeping the bollards. At times I would suggest to people they don't need sheer curtains if they don't need them for daytime privacy, but in your home, I think they are needed to frame the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is to show how different people can have diferent opinions. I was going to say that the bollards make a nice contrast with the color of the sofa at each end of it!

      Delete
    2. What in the heck are bollards? I've looked that word up in my Webster's dictionary and it defines it having to do with mooring a boat at the docks???

      Delete
    3. Around here, bollards are the big posts the city installs to keep cars off the sidewalks

      Delete
    4. I’m sure Andrew meant bolsters!

      Delete
    5. Bollards? Room dividers?!

      Delete
    6. chm- that was my only other interpretation - Andrew must have meant bolsters!

      Delete
  4. I don't think curtains are necessary either. Love the new sofa

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sofa doesn't look like it's in a good location to watch TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful setting! What a nice looking room. Newer TV, too, eh (at least, compared to the one in Ken's photo). Clearly (no pun intended LOL) you don't need our input on the curtains, but I like the way they look to add a soft texture.
    Yeah, what the heck are bollards!? Ha!

    p.s. I think I remember when you bought the beige couch!?! I've been following your blogs since probably before 2010. Or, was this one upstairs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks perfect, and so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice looking couch. And I like the contrast of the old round thingies (not going to get sucked into that naming game!!). They're also useful because they give a sitter a place to rest an elbow.
    Agree with Seine Judeet about the curtains. You have a lot of sharp, clear edges in that room, and the curtains soften the effect a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. chm, I like seeing the legs, too, for exactly the same reason. That blue candle holder is one of my favorites!

    mitch, we have some painting to do (or to get someone else to do. The guest room hasn't been painted since we moved in.

    andrew, the "bollards" didn't stay. I forgot to take them away before taking the photo. In the US, we call those round cylindrical pillows "bolsters." But, when you stand them on their ends, they do look like bollards!

    bettyann, thanks!

    melinda, I like them to soften the edges. They also provide some privacy.

    diane, the tv swivels!

    judy, the beige couch came in 2011. We have another blue one up in the loft that we got in 2017. Maybe you're remembering that?

    chris, thanks!

    emm, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!