Saturday, July 24, 2021

Wild daisies

I saw this patch of wild daisies growing at the end of a row of grape vines out in the vineyard. It's not the only one. We're entering what I call "high summer" when the summer wildflowers are at their peak. Chicory, carrot (Queen Anne's lace), different varieties of wort, and daisies like these are among the wildflowers that proliferate in the heat of the summer vineyards. Not that we've had a hot summer this year, except for the past week.

These little flower heads are not more than an inch across.

These are the wildflowers that will see us into fall, although it's still too early to think about that. It's starting to cool down a little now as a new weather system moves in from the Atlantic. The light thunder and rain that was predicted for over night did not happen. Still, rain is predicted again for this afternoon and tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Daisies are so uplifting. It’s hard to believe we’re almost to the end of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisies definitely say, Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daisies are Dog Daisies....
    or far nicer, Ox-eye Daisy [Leucanthemum vulgaris]....
    a very pretty daisy it is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too use the words 'high summer' to talk of the hot and relatively quiet time between mid/late July and mid/late August.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chm, lol! Un très petit massif...

    mitch, I know. It goes so fast!

    bettyann, yup!

    tim, thanks. I saw ox-eyes on the web and thought that's what they might be.

    michael, I wonder if it's an expression I knew as a kid, but I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!