Thursday, July 29, 2021

Beans

I picked the first batch of beans from the vegetable garden this week. There are more green beans than yellow so far. I should get at least one more batch like this, maybe more, in the coming week or so. Weeds were choking the plants, but I pulled many of them out to help with air circulation and sunlight (when there is sun) and the beans responded.

Fresh green and yellow beans from the garden.

The zukes are producing a couple of squash every few days and they're good. I've seen a lot of tomatoes (and no blossom-end rot!), but they're going to need better weather to get bigger and to ripen.We're told that it will warm up some starting today. It hasn't been too cold, but it feels more like early October out there than the end of July.

10 comments:

  1. It seems you haven’t really experienced summer yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there much difference in taste between green and yellow beans? They look good. I wish your summer were better. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very envious of your ability to grow such delicious-looking green and yellow beans. Could steam and eat that whole platterful myself with a little butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while since I've bought yellow beans - but imo the green beans have more flavor. Is my memory biased, Walt?
    If you're growing them my memory must have 'taken a hike'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought some zucchini noodles the other day at the specialty grocer. Had heard of them but not tried. Sautéed in a bit of OO, oh yum. I gather you need a noodle-making gadget to do them, but likely worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, we had one good week, so far.

    bettyann, I don't really think so...

    kiwi, that's just how we ate 'em!

    judy, :)

    mary, I didn't notice any real difference in flavor.

    emm, I think that they're easily made with a mandolin. Are they flat, like ribbons? Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zucchini noodles I've seen look a bit like linguine, sort-of flat ribbons, but thin ribbons. :-) I don't have a mandolin, not even the musical kind.

      Delete
  7. Glad your tomatoes have no end rot this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations on the beans!
    when I grew beans I remember growing purple ones - do you have any of these ?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!