Sunday, September 18, 2022

Can't see the forest for the trees

Tasha and I walked by these woods a week or so ago. We've been in a few times, and I certainly wandered around in there with Callie, but it's been a while. This time we just looked in from the road. At a certain point there's a tractor path into the woods and a short walk takes you to a spot that's been cut for firewood, with stacks of wood where the trees once stood. The wood might be gone by now, with new trees growing to replace those cut. One of these mornings we'll head in to have a look.

I call these the "haunted woods." There are some strange things in there. Check it out here.

Yesterday we did a lot of preserving. I made a big batch of tomato sauce with the remaining toms that our friend gave us last week. I got five containers full for the freezer. Ken prepared and froze the sweet red peppers that were left after making ratatouille. I also picked a good helping of green beans from the garden and I found a good-sized zucchini on the vine. It's one of only a few we've seen this year (except for in the markets). Our tiny tomatoes, however, seem to be done for the year. I grilled shrimp on the barbie and we ate that with rice seasoned with various Asian sauces for lunch. Yum!

6 comments:

  1. The shrunken figure nailed to the tree might put me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eww about stuff left on the tree.
    I'm glad you're getting something out of your (and your friend's) crop, even if it's not the usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and glad to see, from yesterday's post, that the grooming session for Tasha went well! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to live near a forest, especially a haunted one. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, it's a little creepy, for sure.

    judy, I'm already thinking about next year.

    michael, boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forest would be even better if you were the haunt !

      Delete

Tell me what you think!