Wednesday, September 07, 2022

To hedge, with love

This grew in our hedge. I don't know what* it is, other than a vine with heart-shaped leaves. I hardly noticed it until it turned from green to yellow over the past few weeks. A little early for fall, but very early (or very late) for Valentine's Day.

The hedge is mostly cherry laurel (laurier cerise), but other plants sneak in.

Speaking of fall, the weather is taking a turn toward more fall-like temperatures. The equinox is just over two weeks away, falling (pun intended) on the 23rd this year. That's if you subscribe to the astronomical view of seasons. For you meteorological types, it's already fall.

* A little internet research indicates this may be tamier (discorea communis), because of its heart-shaped leaves and red berries.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve never heard of tamier (nor its English variations). The heart-shaped leaves are beautiful against the laurel. Imagine if it turned red in fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like windy weed, which is what I call this damn weed that grows super fast and winds around other plants, sucking the life out of them. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you mentioned there was a pun, not being a native English speaker, I might have missed it :-).
    Just like Mitchell (is his last name a variation of mine, or vice-versa?), I’ve never heard of tamier (nor its English variations).

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, I'm not sure I have, either, although I probably looked it up a few times over the years and forgot.

    anon, tell us how you really feel. ;)

    chm, I believe "Mitchell" is his first name, but I don't know the name's origins.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!