Friday, September 16, 2022

Ratatouille

Ken mentioned on his blog that a friend of ours brought us bounty from her garden a few days ago. She has had much more success this year than we and she brought us a big case filled with plump, ripe tomatoes, gorgeous eggplant, and sweet red peppers. Immediately I thought of making that southern French classic: ratatouille.

Grilled chicken breast with a rustic ratatouille.

The only thing we needed from the store was some zucchini; you'll remember that my crop mostly failed this year. I sauteed chopped onions, garlic, and red pepper in some olive oil. Then I added the coarsely cut tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini to the pot. Some herbs (our home grown and dried oregano and thyme) along with some salt and pepper finished it off. The whole thing simmered for about an hour, maybe a little more. I grilled a couple of chicken breasts to go along with it. Delicious!

The leftover ratatouille went into the freezer for another meal. Or two.

6 comments:

  1. Ratatouille is one of my favorite dishes. Depending on the size of the constituents the taste may slightly vary, but it is always delicious. Yours looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another work of art from your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see a garden veggies dish on the blog... even if they're not from your garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the above! I hadn't thought of ratatouille when I looked at that box of vegies - I was thinking Mexican: Enchiladas! I believe you received some Anaheim chilie peppers in both red and green. I could just taste that melted cheese with the peppers and tomato sauce! Ratatouille is a favorite of mine, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe I have ever had any. I keep looking for it on menus but I suppose I don't go to places that would make it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!