Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Ramparts

These are part of the remparts around the old city of Saint-Malo. From what I understand, the Germans held the city for a time during the Second World War and they added to and reinforced the fortifications. Allied forces bombed them along with most of the old city. Work began at war's end to repair and rebuild the walls and the buildings behind them.

Saint-Malo in Brittany. Digitized color slide, January 1992.

We're enjoying sunny and dry afternoons this week. I'm planning to get out and get the grass cut again. It could be the last time this year, depending on the weather. But it likely won't be. I've cut the grass as late as early November in years past.

2 comments:

  1. Those walls are incredible. I wonder what it takes to maintain them now.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!