Tuesday, November 07, 2023

Eglise Saint-Christophe de Vindelle

Vindelle is the name of the little town where our gîte (vacation rental) is located. It's not much more than an intersection. The town's population is about 1,000 people. The church, an eleventh and twelfth century romanesque building, is called Saint-Christophe.

The bell tower of St.-Christophe de Vindelle. I didn't go inside because I had Tasha with me.

The center of town is about a ten minute walk along the Méronne from our rental house. The road is called le Riz. I'm not sure what that means. Riz means "rice" in French, but I don't think there's any rice production going on around Vindelle. There are some areas planted with grains (wheat, corn) here and there, as well as vineyards whose grapes are used to make local wines and Cognac. Maybe they grew rice back in the middle ages? Or maybe that name means something else.

4 comments:

Tell me what you think!