Thursday, November 02, 2023

Stormy weather

The power came back on at 08h00 this morning. It went out around 0h30 last night. That was weird since the storm hadn't really started yet. Not only was our neighborhood dark through the night, but, according to the power company's web site, there was no power in all of our town and none in all of Saint-Aignan. I was going to look up other nearby places, but the site conked out on me. I was worried about the freezers, but now that the power's back on I don't have to.

Sucrine du Berry. Very similar to butternut squash.

I got up just after six this morning to build a fire in the wood stove (with the help of a flashlight so I could see) and light some candles. The wind was still blowing, but at no time did it seem very bad. There was some rain, but not a lot. Things are starting to calm down now that it's light. The news from the coast, however, is not so good. I've only heard of one death at this point, but there is considerable wind and flood damage out there.

The photo is one of the sucrine squash picked from this year's garden. After cutting it in half, I roasted it and froze most of it. I used the rest to make a loaf of pumpkin bread. Tasty!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you're OK. The wind is howling here right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked like an upside-down pair of posh, leather-soled slippers in the thumbnail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I bet that fire in the fireplace was a welcome thing :)
    I bet that pumpkin bread was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read or heard how to determine the "greatness" of a squash after it is cut in half...however, if I were a
    vegetable judge, your Sucrine Du Berry would get a purple ribbon from me! (Best of Show, I believe!) Very meaty-looking, good color, perfect shape!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, you must get a lot of fierce winds off the sea.

    tim, haha!

    judy, yes on both counts!

    evelyn, and it was/is tasty, too!

    mary, at least it didn't look like a celebrity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you thinking celebrity like Madame DuBarry?

      Delete

Tell me what you think!