Saturday, November 04, 2023

Et la tête

This bust of Hergé sits in the place of the same name in central Angoulême. Who is Hergé? He was a Belgian artist who created the famous comic book series, Tintin. His name is Georges Remi. His nickname comes from his initials, GR, transposed to RG. Pronounced in French, they sound like Hergé [air-zhay].

Hergé, by sculptor Tchang Tchong-jen, in Angoulême.

The only thing I could find about a connection to Angoulême is that the sculpture, done by a friend of his, was placed during the city's international comic book festival in 2003. Hergé died in 1983 at the age of seventy-five.

5 comments:

  1. A great bust. A less-than-great bust of a local has been installed on our plaza. I've have to share a photo so you can see how it should NOT be done. Remi's professional name reminds me of Duchamp's Mona Lisa... L.H.O.O.Q.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He somehow looks very pleased with himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He entertained a lot of children through his work. It's good he was remembered this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good there. Nicely done, I say :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, hot to trot... I had completely forgotten about that. :)

    jean, the sculptor was a friend. A good one. :)

    evelyn, and a lot of adults, too, I'm sure.

    judy, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!