Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Vine removal

Work started yesterday to dig out then next parcel of grape vines and prepare the land for replanting. A big digger was delivered on Monday afternoon. It's got a huge rake-like tool attached to the arm for digging out the vines and then moving them into piles. I tried to get some photos, but I wanted to be discreet about it. The best photo I got was from our guestroom window with the telephoto lens on the camera. I'm assuming that, like the previous replanted parcels, this one will lie fallow for a year or two before the actual planting happens.

The Big Digger ripping out old grape vines in preparation for re-planting.

The big storm named Ciarán is heading for France's northwest coast today. Later this evening and overnight, the storm's southern edge will cross our region, bringing rain and high winds, but thankfully nothing like what the coastal regions are expected to get. We've prepared as much as we can, moving plants to sheltered locations and bringing indoors anything that can be blown around. Météo France predicts that we could get gusts up to 100 kph. The Citroën is in the garage and the Peugeot is under the carport. Why do these things always come at night when it's scarier?

2 comments:

  1. I'm always bugged these things come at night when I can't get good pictures. Lack of maturity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch, you crack me up :)
    At night, right!? Grrr. Fingers crossed for all safety, no leaks, no power loss.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!