Monday, November 20, 2023

Le tympan

In English, it's the tympanum. I should have remembered this word from architecture school, but I've long forgotten and had to look it up. It's the triangular or semi-circular space over a door or window, framed by arches and a lintel, often adorned with sculpture. This is the tympan over the main entrance to the abbey church at Saint-Amant-de-Boixe.

The tympanum over the western entry to the abbey church at Saint-Amant-de-Boixe.

Today I go to the dentist (my regular dentist) to get measured for a permanent crown for the implant I got last summer. The dentist will remove the temporary crown and use a fancy camera to photograph and measure the space. Then he'll put the temporary back on while the permanent crown gets made. I have an appointment in ten days to have that put in.

So, the saga of my broken bicuspid (broken last spring) is coming to a happy end.

3 comments:

  1. It’s so frustrating how long one implant takes. Glad you’re nearing the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A geometric sort of tympanum. I'm in the crown process now but without the implant. We'll both be glad when out dental work is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, dem bones, dem bones, dem slow-growing bones!

    evelyn, It's been a good experience, despite being expensive, but you're right. I'll be glad when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!