Saturday, November 11, 2023

Wines from Alsace

Ken made a choucroute garnie (sauerkraut) last week. It's the time of year when one of our local supermarkets carries raw sauerkraut and it's very good. Ken cooks it in white wine and other flavoring ingredients (among them: carrots, juniper berries, onions, and smoked lardons) and serves it with several meats, including a couple types of smoked pork and Alsatian hot dogs called knack (knackwurst). This time he added poached chicken since we had some chicken in the fridge that needed to be used. So far, we've had two sauerkraut meals and today will be the third (and probably last for this batch).

Rosenhof wines from Alsace.

Since choucroute is a favorite dish in the eastern France region of Alsace, it makes sense to serve it with Alsatian wine. I went to the supermarket and found these. Riesling, Sylvaner, and Edelzwicker by Rosenhof. All are light and fruity, but dry, whites that go very well with a hearty dish of sauerkraut. I was attracted by the labels. Each features a stylized stork (Alsace is famous for being a nesting ground for storks) of a different color and in a different pose. So far we've tasted the Riesling and the Edelzwicker. This weekend we'll enjoy the Sylvaner.

8 comments:

  1. I tend to buy wine by how good the labels are, and these simple and stylish labels do appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the labels too.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wine labels and the storks! L&L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those are fun labels :)
    I think I remember there being a Sylvaner (and a Riesling) available at the fancy schmancy restaurant I worked at in college (I wore a tux!), that had a pretty extensive wine list for around here...but, not Edelzwicker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty labels for sure!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have chosen those wines for the labels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. andrew, I like stylish wine labels, but the wine has to be good.

    bettyann, :)

    L&L, :)

    judy, this was the first time I saw edelzwicker. It was tasty!

    evelyn, :)

    mitch, we weren't disappointed in the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes yes yes how I would love to try some. It seems French wine is growing harder to come by here as it isn't in high demand anymore. Curious why this is the case

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!