Monday, November 27, 2023

Stronghold

We made our way toward the center of Verteuil, not really knowing where we'd end up or what we would find. Our goal was to get to the château and see what we could see. It's a privately owned castle, be we held out hope that we'd be allowed to at least walk on the grounds and view the building from the outside. No such luck. All doors and gates were shut and locked. Maybe it was the time of day, maybe the time of year, or maybe it's not open to the public at all.

The château rises above central Verteuil.

I harvested another sucrine de Berry (winter squash) yesterday. Ken used a good part of it in a tajine recipe, using up leftover lamb from last Thursday. The rest I opted not to roast. Rather, I peeled and cut it into cubes, par-boiled it, then froze the cubes for another time. Peeling the squash was not easy. I wonder if I should have boiled the cubes before peeling them. That might have made it easier to remove the thick skin. I might try that the next time. There are two more squash in the garden. And they're big ones.

6 comments:

  1. I love this view. But I want to remove the cars and the manhole.

    Your maybes have me singing: “I don't know who l am. But you know, life is for learning.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. For freezing Sucrine, Butternut, Crown Prince, etc....
    do not peel, nor parboil... then roast the chunks before use.
    The skin comes away with no effort... and it doesn't half save wear and tear on the old body trying to remove that rhino hide when fresh!!
    And get those big ones in before they get frost damaged!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I can't see the photo without focusing on the manhole and the cars. Ha!
    It's pretty cool to have a castle just down the street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy hearing your squash tales. We will probably get our first freeze this week- about time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I thought about removing the manhole cover, but decided I liked the visual interest.

    tim, something to try...

    judy, can't see the traffic for the cars... ;)

    evelyn, "squash tales." Ha! Sounds like great literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wanted to remove those things to imagine it being from an earlier time. The manhole cover does anchor the image.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!