Sunday, January 21, 2024

A taste of Provence

This is going to be challenging. I'm realizing that I don't recognize many of the places I photographed on this trip. Some are easy, others not so much. Like this one. I know we were staying in the valley just north of the Luberon Mountain. There are many hilltop towns in that area; some I will remember, others I won't. If any of my readers recognize a place that I don't, or that I mis-identify, I'd be grateful for your help.

Here's the first place I don't recognize, with another in the distance. Digitized color slide, Provence, September 2001.

We rented a house in a town called Cavaillon on the Durance River, not far from Avignon. I know we visited Oppède, Ménerbes, Lacoste, Bonnieux, and Gordes. Also Lourmarain and Lauris to the south. Roussillon was in there, too, but that one should be easy to identify from the distinctive red/orange color of the rock in that area. There are, no doubt, others.

6 comments:

  1. Of that list, we only visited Bonnieux as we walked up a fairly steep hill to get a view of LaCoste across the way and it doesn't appear to have a high hill, so it is probably not Bonnieux. Yes, Roussilon I would be able to ID pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from a family of photographers; father has a rule to document every photo on the grounds soon you won't remember what this is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, the whole region is pretty.

    judy, Ken and I tried to figure it out yesterday, but we're not at all sure.

    mary, you're right, I don't think it's Bonnieux, either.

    michael, good rule! Your father was right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I live in Provence and have been reading your blog for a long time. It seems to me that the photo is of the hamlet of Lumières near Goult.
    Sincerely

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!