Monday, January 22, 2024

Ring my bell

Bell towers like this one are common sights in Provence. The reason? The wind, according to my extensive quick and easy internet research. The mistral can blow with serious force, and a wrought iron bell "cage" offers less resistance than a masonry tower.

Wrought-iron bell tower. Ménerbes, Provence. Digitized color slide, September 2001.

This one is in Ménerbes, one of the villages perchés (hill towns) on the north side of the Luberon. From what I can find on line, it's not part of a church, but appears to be adjacent to one of the town's gates.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating about the winds and the bell towers. I don't think I've ever seen one like this. I think I'll be hearing Anita Ward singing in my head for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, thank you!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, yes, me too, all day.

    bettyann, :)

    judy, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!