Thursday, January 04, 2024

Rouen Cathedral

This Saturday is the Twelfth Day of Christmas. I'm sure we won't see (or hear) twelve drummers drumming, but we will see a galette des rois, a special kind of tart made with pâte feuilletée (puff pastry) and filled with frangipane (almond paste) that's customary this time of year. I've been making galettes nearly every year for a while. I got into making my own because the ones from the supermarket aren't very good and the ones from a bakery cost way too much.

From the archives: inside the cathedral at Rouen, Normandy. Digitized color slide; not sure of the date.

They're not difficult to make, but it does take time to roll and fold the dough into a good puff pastry. Buying ready-made puff pastry does make it all easier, but it's not as satisfying as doing the thing myself. So I do.

9 comments:

  1. I have never made puff pastry - I should. Are you a candle lighter? Surprisingly I am, I am not catholic, not a practitioner of any organized religion, but light candles against the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another place I still haven’t visited. As always your photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is a place I must go to.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to taste your galette des rois!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Christmas season comes to a complete halt here on 26 December.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day with your encouragement I will make my own puff pastry; yours must taste fantastic as I have never been dissatisfied with the Pepperidge farm variety (of course, you have been eating french pastry for decades now so I'm guessing your taste buds are at a higher level than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bit blasphemous, but I must say that Christ Jesus looks as if he is enjoying a sauna in his crown of thorns. An odd selection for statuary, it seems, and a strange location in the cathedral as well. I wonder what the little wooden door on the wall at the left leads to?

    ReplyDelete
  8. travel, no, I'm not, but now that you've put it into another light (see what I did there?), maybe I'll start!

    mitch, there are so many places to visit!

    bettyann, it's a nice day-trip from Paris on the train. ;)

    evelyn, I've got to get in gear to get it done for tomorrow!

    michael, are the Valentine's day decorations up in the stores yet? :)

    mary, I don't know about my taste buds, but it's fun to try your hand at some of these traditional things, even knowing the bakeries probably do better. But not always!

    kiwi, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!