Thursday, January 11, 2024

From one arch to another

This is the La Défense business district just outside Paris and the Grande Arche, arguably the centerpiece of the complex. I was standing on the observation platform atop the Arc de Triomphe, just under five kilometers* (about three miles) away. Ah, the wonders of a zoom lens.

Those little dots along the top edge of the arche are people. La Grande Arche de la Défense, Paris, April 2009.

The arch is essentially two forty-or-so story office buildings connected at their tops. Visitors can take the glass elevators (visible inside the arch) up to an outdoor observation deck and exhibit space. Ken and I did that back in the eighties. Since this photo dates from 2009, that building under construction on the right is most certainly completed by now.

Why is one called un arc and the other called une arche? I dunno.

*As measured on Google Maps.

4 comments:

  1. There is a great view from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I went there once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you don’t know I guess I never will. You were spoken of fondly yesterday at the bloggers’ lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. travel, yup!

    evelyn, me too!

    mitch, looks like you all had a great time (photos on Sean's blog).

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!