Friday, January 05, 2024

Basilique du Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre

This church, built on the Butte Montmartre, is probably among the most recognized and most visited of Paris monuments. I've been inside (many moons ago) but I've never climbed up to the dome. But you don't have to for good views. The plaza and stairs out front offer pretty good, and free, views of the city below without the climb.

Sacré-Cœur in Montmartre, Paris, April 2009.

Our weather is cooling down again. If the forecasters are correct, we should see some negative temperatures next week. Oh! And the landscape guys showed up yesterday afternoon and started the hedge trimming. I assume (always dangerous) that they'll be back this morning to finish the job.

6 comments:

  1. Ken and I went there with my parents -- maybe 1972 -- We bought a small blue and white oil painting of the coast of Bretagne -- Ken bargained the price down. No idea where that painting is now, but I wish I had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember going to Montmartre with your parents, but memories fade... I think I vaguely remember that painting of the Brittany coast. I assume it was you who bought it. I just bargained and translated. I was in Rouen from September 1972 until, I think, June 1973. Then Paris from September 1974 until March 1976.

      Delete
  2. from Bryan -- not understanding how these comments work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. travel, :) FYI: I haven't been able to comment on your blog for a while now. Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading and enjoying.

    mitch, thanks. Hope the flight went well.

    bryan, hey there! I'll ask him about it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!