Monday, January 08, 2024

Galette de rois, 2023

I used the DSLR yesterday to get a better photo of this year's galette des rois, the traditional tart for celebrating the Epiphany (les rois in this case refers to the three wise men, kings of Orient). I used the smartphone for the first round of pictures, but I didn't like the results at all. This one is okay.

Galette des rois et sa fève.

The fève this year is a ceramic duck (looks like a mallard to me) that came in either a bakery or supermarket tart many years ago, before I started making my own. Naturally I saved the little trinkets and now use them in my tarts. The tradition says that whomever gets the hidden fève in their slice is king for the day and gets to wear the cardboard crown that comes with the tart. This year, Ken got the honor. But the only crowns in this house are shaped like teeth.

8 comments:

  1. Ha!!
    (Nice looking, yummy for sure, galette, Walt!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same kind of crowns in this house, too. Your cake is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. We have a real crown in our house but no galette des rois.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty and what a cute mallard!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! Smaller cake, more frangipane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. judy, it was tasty!

    evelyn, LOL

    mitch, who wears the crown?

    bettyann, :)

    mary, I finally got smart and made half a recipe (frangipane). No leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walt the Fourth,
    You really need to ask? (The one whose middle name means king in Spanish) Not me!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!