Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Maybe Ménerbes

This image is among several that I figured out were shot in the village of Ménerbes, so it's likely that's where it was taken, too. The hilltop towns in the Luberon area are picturesque, one after the other, to the point where they start looking alike. At least in my memories of them.

Ménerbes, I believe, in Provence. Digitized color slide, September 2001.

After Englishman Peter Mayle's novel, A Year in Provence, became a best seller in 1989 and a television series in 1993, international tourism in the region picked up and many of the hilltop towns got a facelift, buildings were restored or renovated, and hotels and holiday homes opened in and around the old villages. Ken and I spent a couple of weeks in the Luberon (in a town called Mérindol) in 1993 ourselves. The photos I'm posting right now come from our second stay in the area (in Cavaillon) back in 2001.

7 comments:

  1. Similar to the white villages of southern Spain, at a glance in a photo you may not know which one it is. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Neither did I, Judy. I think I heard so much about it I felt as though I had read it.
      BettyAnn

      Delete
  3. Very pretty village.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, I've seen photos of those places. Very pretty.

    judy, neither did I. I did see the tv version back in '93. Watched it again recently and thought that it didn't age very well.

    bettyann, :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read all of Peter Mayle's books and I loved them. I know after I read them I knew I would never be buying a home in France because of all the expected difficulties in obtaining any kind of construction repairs (as we have seen reading this blog - although you, two, have a beautiful home and even with the delays and issues, have accomplished your goals. I would probably not be so successful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep forgetting to eliminate "Anonymous" - That was Mary in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!