Thursday, October 29, 2020

Savory pumpkin cake

Here's one of the ways we used pumpkin this week. It's a savory pumpkin cake, the recipe for which Ken found on the internet. The cake is made with roasted pumpkin, of course, flour, eggs, smoked lardons (like American bacon), grated cheese, and pecans for crunch. Baking powder helps the cake to lighten and rise. It's a very moist cake, and delicious as an appetizer or a snack.

A slice of savory pumpkin cake.


The president spoke last night and, if I understood correctly, France is going back into a modified lockdown starting on Friday and lasting until the first of December. I won't go into the details here, but like last spring, we will be restricted from unnecessary travel, even around town. Ken got his hair cut yesterday, and I have an appointment this morning, just under the wire. I'm assuming the hair salon will close during the lockdown. Ken did a big supermarket run yesterday, stocking up on some essentials. Since we're more or less homebodies anyway, the restrictions shouldn't be much of a hardship for us.

13 comments:

  1. Intelligent public health - unlike one big country

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of like pumpkin Pounti! Looks yumm yumm yummy.
    We so desperately need restrictions, here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope will get rid of the Covid menace as well as Donnie the Menace as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the lockdown. We've got a curfew and closed regional borders. I wish I had some of that savoury pumpkin cake to make things better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh.
    Do you have to do that "create your own permission slip" thing again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pumpkin cake looks deelish!
    We, in the US, should be so lucky to have a leader who takes the pandemic seriously. So glad your blog is staying open during the shutdown in France. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want the recipe for that cake, it looks delicious.
    In the grocery this evening, the man ahead of me had a mask, but it was down around his neck. When it was my turn, I told the cashier I didn't want to get near his cart (Aldi's, so you leave your cart for the person behind) because he wasn't wearing a mask. And in my best cranky-lady voice, "If people would wear masks, we could get this ridiculous mess fixed." I am so over being polite to or about clueless, stupid people. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo, Emm! I think we (...who must be obeyed!...) must be careful who we reveal our thoughts to (although my experience yesterday (thursday) was very similar and I spoke up to! The clerk managing the self-check aisle looked at me with my mask and said, (even though he and everyone else in the store had masks on) "You know, masks don't do any good." WHAT!!! I told him he must watch FOX news to get such wrong information. He replied negatively but he did not reveal where he obtained that false interpretation.

      Mary in Oregon

      Delete
    2. That slice of cake with the green (?) leaf is "plated" so perfectly for the shot! Love it!
      May I please have a slice with my afternoon tea?

      Mary in Oregon

      Delete
    3. mary, that's a sprig of parsley. :)

      Delete
  8. travel, hmmmm, I wonder which one? ;)

    judy, very much like a pounti, I think.

    chm, fingers crossed.

    sillygirl, emm, here's a link: https://www.marieclaire.fr/cuisine/cake-au-potiron-et-au-comte,1195564.asp

    chris, yup.

    bettyann, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!