Thursday, October 22, 2020

These ain't grapes

When you see them in person, it's obvious. The berries are much smaller than grapes. The bunches point up instead of down. And the leaves on the shrub are nothing like grape leaves. I've posted about these in the past, and I think they're called troène commun (wild privet), but I'm not certain.

Pretty berries. But don't eat them! They're toxic to humans.


These grow on the edge of an abandoned vineyard parcel, among the neglected grapes, wild roses and blackberries, and other shrubs and small trees. I haven't seen them anywhere else.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with privet. Birds seem to like them and after eating them the seed is spread and it is a pest species here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to comment for fourth time. My first two were very clever. This one is not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaaaaa haaaaa, Mitchell!

      Walt, yikes. Bad berries, bad!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the warning. I will stay away!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. andrew, that's probably how they got out there in the vineyard.

    mitch, sometimes the comments just disappear into the ether. I don't know why.

    judy, bad!

    mary, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!