Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Tasha Tuesday

Looking toward home. She was probably waiting for me while I took the photo. She's used to us stopping to take pictures when we walk. Normally she takes the opportunity to sniff around, but on this day something further down the road caught her attention. It turned out that it was Bert.

Tasha is sure she saw something over there.


Yesterday Ken and I accomplished a significant task. We got our old (25 years) mattress down from the loft and into the garage. It had been sitting on the floor for a few weeks since we got the new mattress. It was quite a job. I frankly don't know how we managed to get the darned thing up there to begin with. It's an American king-size mattress. Big and heavy and not very flexible. It was ten years ago that the loft was finished; we were both ten years younger.

First, we had to clear the way. We moved furniture, took all pictures off the walls, moved lamps and plants and anything else that could get knocked over along the way. Halfway down the staircase from the loft, the unwieldy mattress got wedged in the turn. The stairs were blocked. Ken and Tasha were stuck in the loft and I was stuck on the main floor. After much huffing and puffing and a little swearing, we managed to lift it out of its stuck position and guide it down. Thankfully, gravity was on our side. The second stair from the main floor to the ground floor is wider and was much easier to negotiate. Then it was out the front door and across the driveway into the garage. The whole thing wore us out. After, we realized we should have taken photos of the mattress wedged in the staircase, just for the memory. Oh well.

The mattress will sit in the garage until our refuse company reinstates their annual pickup of objets encombrants (oversize and difficult items) which they suspended when covid hit.

11 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the Friends episode with Ross and his settee!!! Pivot, Pivot ... (I enjoy yours and Ken's blog very much). Regards, Ro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same image as rosemarie! Pivot. Pivot. Pivot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess there wasn't a window large enough to toss it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Big and heavy and not very flexible," just like me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that chore is done safely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s the kind of experience that is not funny when it happens but becomes so with time. ;)
    Thanks for the picture of Tasha. She has good eye sight, I didn’t see Bert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaah, moving days come back to mind.
    Glad no one was seriously injured.
    A glass of wine, afterwards???

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  8. rosemarie, mitch, I didn't watch Friends, so I'm not familiar with it. I'll have to check and see if it's on YouTube.

    andrew, nope. I considered taking a knife to it to try to cut it in half. I'm sure it would have been a mess and a waste of a good knife.

    wickedhamster, lol!

    evelyn, me too!

    bettyann, Bert's not in the photo. He was behind the pond.

    mary, at least one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. rosemarie, mitch, I found the clip. That's EXACTLY what it was like, although neither one of us used the word "pivot." And we didn't make a sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big and heavy and not very flexible - like my men.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!