Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Hyacinths in bloom

The jacinthes (hyachinths) in our yard are blooming now. There aren't very many. This patch is one that I dug up and moved many years ago. There are a few other single plants here and there. I've told myself for years that I would get more bulbs into the ground each fall, and each fall comes and goes and I forget. Except for one recent year when I planted tulips. They bloomed beautifully the first spring, then the bulbs were eaten by rodents and are gone. The rodents don't seem to have a taste for daffodils or hyacinths, so they survive.

A row of white hyacinths.

It looks like we'll be enjoying another sunny day today with the high in the mid teens (around 60ºF). But this morning is chilly and there's ice on the loft windows. I'm growing tired of the morning chill.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful hyacinths. I can imagine the sweet fragrance. I'd be tired of that kind of morning chill, as well. It's currently in the 50sF here when we wake up and even that's pushing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our purple hyacinths are up, and lots of daffodils :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I think I asked you last fall if it was time for you to buy bulbs. ;) I’ll try to remember to do it again this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can smell them from here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have daffodils growing, and some even blooming by now. Also forsythia and the flowering trees. Also pollen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember growing some; they seemed to sing 'Spring time is here!"

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!