Tuesday, March 16, 2021

There's clover over there

In one of the vineyard parcels out back, the grower sowed some variety of clover (so we were told) in every other row between vines. The seeds sprouted last fall, after the harvest, and filled in nicely over winter. I don't know whether this is for weed control, to help put nutrients into the soil, both, or neither. But it looks nice.

Alternating rows of clover and cut vine canes in this parcel of sauvignon blanc.

The vines in this parcel hadn't been pliées (folded) when I took this photo, but they have since. More and more parcels are getting done. Soon the mulchers will be out to grind up those cut canes. I wonder if the clover will be mowed, plowed in, or just left as it is. Time will tell.

7 comments:

  1. It does look nice. Maybe they did it just for the aesthetics. No? Didn't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look what I just found at vinepair.com:
    "Trifolium, commonly known as clover, is a “nitrogen-fixing” plant, meaning it returns nitrogen from the air back to soils, a vital process that increases farmland fertility. As such, it makes clover a beloved cover crop in vineyards from Mendocino to Piedmont and everywhere in between."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrolling down, it's nice to see these pops of spring color :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orderly, neat and attractive. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could the no-clover rows be reserved for traffic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad used to plant alfalfa in his garden I think and then he plowed it into the soil I think. I wasn't really paying attention 65 years ago lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, thanks for that! We may try to plant some (or something similar) this fall to help the soil in our vegetable garden.

    judy, it's even nicer to see them outside!

    bettyann, hehe.

    chm, tractor traffic!

    evelyn, our local garden stores sell seeds for cover crops, so I'm going to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!