Sunday, March 07, 2021

Saturday was pizza day

It took decades, but I finally learned to make pizza crust without using a rolling pin. I stopped using the pin about a year ago and my pizza crusts are much better than they used to be. I think using the pin squished a lot of the air out of the dough, so my crusts were a little more dense than they should have been. Now they seem light and airy (but still crispy on the outside) and they're much easier to shape.

The first of two Saturday pizzas.

I topped yesterday's pizzas with our home-made tomato sauce, sausage, bell peppers, mushrooms, and grated cheese (Gouda from Holland). They were delicious and we devoured them with a cabernet sauvignon from the Pays d'Oc (southwestern France). We followed up with a green salad, then some of that peach amandine tart from Friday for dessert. Yum.

And, as we often say, that was the best lunch I had today! Well, yesterday.

10 comments:

  1. I bet it tasted good. BTW is it the first time of seeing the board and cutter? I like the different woody stripes, and the cutter 'rocks'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walt and Ken's kitchen is a wondrous place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need a video of you shaping the pizza crust, seriously. I want mine to be light, airy and crispy on the outside too. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practice makes perfect. Innit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night I made my first Detroit-style pizza! It was fair at best.
    I have a lot to learn; the dough was the main problem.
    your pizzas always look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. potty, no, we've had that board and cutter for many years. They both appear in almost every pizza post I've done! The board was made by a friend of ours in California. We love it. And the knife is actually called The Pizza Rocker Knife. Good call!

    mitch, all it needs is someone to mop the floor. ;)

    bettyann, that would be a short and boring video! I just pick the dough up and turn it like I'm turning a steering wheel until it's the size I want it to be.

    travel, you said it!

    chm, 'tis. :)

    michael, Detroit-style? I'll have to look that up.

    tom, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you toss the crust into the air, real italian style? I have one of those pizza rockers too; a great kitchen tool!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!