Monday, January 23, 2023

Saturday was pizza day

The last of the leftover Christmas turkey is gone. Ken chopped it finely and I added some smoked paprika and a few drops of liquid smoke. The turkey went on first, followed by red, green, and yellow bell peppers and some canned corn. I topped it all with grated comté cheese. We usually use a store-bought smoked chicken on this pie, but the flavored turkey worked just fine.

The second of two pizzas we ate on Saturday. The original version doesn't have corn on top, but I think it adds a nice southwestern quality.

This pizza is inspired by one we used to get from Wolfgang Puck's pizzeria in the Cellar at Macy's in downtown San Francisco. It was topped with cubes of smoked chicken, coarsely chopped bell peppers, and grated cheese (of some sort; I don't remember what kind it was). I liked that pizza so much that every so often I would drive down to Union Square (we lived in Glen Park) and park in the garage just to get one (or two) for dinner. Later, we found that same Wolfgang Puck pizza, frozen, at one of the supermarkets we frequented, but it was not anywhere near as good as the made-to-order, wood-fired pizzeria version.

5 comments:

  1. Another work of art from your kitchen, but I'll take mine without the corn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take Mitchell's corn, please :) That looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we first moved to B'ham we had a Macy's about a mile away, but alas it is gone. I would have loved to try this kind of pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, I'll call you when your table is ready.

    judy, ha! :)

    evelyn, I wonder if the pizza place in Macy's SF is still there. I know the store is, not sure about the food.

    travel, we both like bready pizza crusts, so that's how I try to make them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!