Saturday, January 14, 2023

The altar

This is the alter of the collégiale Saint-Sylvain de Levroux. I'm standing in the nave looking toward the choir and apse. I was new to digital photography in 2004, using one of Ken's cameras to take these photos. I got my first digital camera in 2006.

The autel (altar) and chœur (choir) at St.-Sylvain de Levroux.

Another windy and wet day is ahead for us. I suppose it's better than snow and ice. Still, we should get some below-freezing weather at some point. We have half of January and all of February and March to go.

Ken's making choucroute garnie (sauerkraut with smoked meats) for lunch today. Nice comfort food for a gray day.

5 comments:

  1. The design and construction of the stonework always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The architectural details and just the overall engineering is amazing. I, too, am having choucroute garnie today. My maternal side of the family emigrated from Alsace- Lorraine in 1856. Besides many French recipes that have been handed down to me there are some German ones also. Sauerkraut and smoked pork along with root vegetables was prepared in our family from late fall until early spring. Recipes varied because each women used different spices to flavor the dish. The wine used was home made Riesling. I drink Gewurztraminer with it. Fresh pork was also used which was plentiful in Cincinnati, Ohio. Our family owned and operated large slaughter house and meat packing houses. Cincinnati was known as Porkopolis. It has been below freezing the past two days and spitting ice crystals. I just drew back the drapes and see the signs of the sun rising. Maybe it will be brighter today and not so gosh darn dreary and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love these church interior photos that you get, with such a good shot of the structure, but also of the stained glass. I particularly liked yesterday's photo :) Some mornings, I can't comment, because I use my iPad while I'm doing some morning exercises, and it just doesn't seem to work well to let me comment on any blogs. But, I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made sauerkraut. It is something I've been thinking to try some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, me too.

    woody, we're having the leftovers today. Enjoyed a Gewurztraminer with it yesterday, but that's gone now!

    judy, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!