Thursday, April 04, 2024

Le château neuf

After climbing up the streets and stairways of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, we arrived at the donjon, apparently the only remaining bit of the old "new" castle. And don't let this view fool you; there's nothing behind those walls except air. The castle is a shell of its former self, literally.

Stop and buy some wine while you're at it. Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Digitized color slide, September 2001.

It's raining again this morning. I don't know how much soggier things can get. I drove by the river yesterday and it's high. Parts of the island at Saint-Aignan are under water. Fortunately, it's a park and nobody lives there, but there are buildings that could be damaged if the flooding gets worse. This morning it's my turn take Tasha out for her walk in the rain. Unlike Neíl Sedaka, the only laughter I hear is snickering.

5 comments:

  1. It’s still raining here too, and there’s 50acres of sugar beet still to lift, weeks late,! No tractoring today then. Even Persie the cat prefers to sit by the Aga. We’re well though, so happy days. Pats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’d hear laughter if you and Ken were to walk Tasha hand-in-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I haven’t thought of Neil Sedaka in… I have no idea how long !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me laugh today. Sorry for all the rain in your neighborhood, but here Southern California had been under drought for so long I just welcome the rain. Also, did you know Harry Enten from CNN - Senior Data Reporter is Neil Sedaka nephew? Madonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. pats, here's hoping we all dry out a little, soon!

    mitch, I'd probably be the one laughing.

    judy, ha!

    madonna, socal needs the rain! I don't watch enough CNN to know him.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!