Sunday, April 21, 2024

Plowed

This is a curious parcel of land. I think it was bare for a while but, for the past few years, it's been plowed and planted. With what, I couldn't tell you. It looks like potato plants, but then I've never seen an actual potato around harvest time. There's no irrigation except what falls from the sky.

The parcel is plowed twice each spring. The second plowing breaks up all those big clumps.

Our outdoor thermometer reads 4ºC (about 39ºF) this morning. The central heat is on inside the house. The predicted high temperature is 10º. I still haven't lit a fire in the wood stove, but that might change.

3 comments:

  1. Here, they've done the second plough and now have run a disc-harrow over to break them up even more... I think that they are late this year because of the wet!!
    Also, Walt, the French word "massettes" actually translates as "mace", (amongst other options like "sledgehammer")....
    so again you have mace in the plant...
    And 3000 miles of ocean have magnified cattails... in Europe the cattail is a grass... Phleum pratense... also called by my name, Timothy grass.... Fléole des prés in French and simply Timothy in the States.... but you can see the similarity in shape!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_(grass)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew,that makes for a weird-looking photo on first glance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looked to me at first like a peat bog.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!