Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Volunteers

Last year, a tulip popped up in the lawn near the back gate. I mowed around it all spring and summer and eventually, as tulips do, its green leaves died back. This year, it came up again. With a sibling. I'll mow around them again until the greens disappear. What will we get next year, I wonder?

A pair of surprise tulips in the back yard.

I gathered up my courage and went out into the chilly, blustery air after lunch yesterday and mowed the south forty. I still have the strip outside the hedges to do. But now the yard has had its first cut of the year. It should be relatively easy to keep it in good shape from here on out, unless it's exceptionally rainy and I can't mow for weeks.

4 comments:

  1. What nice volunteers to have. We planted small naturalizing tulips in one of our gardens in Connecticut. They spread like the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a chipmunk brought the first tulip. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary in Oregon17 April, 2024 21:13

    Volunteers are welcomed here, too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!