Friday, April 19, 2024

Le pliage

The folding. That's what they call bending the single grape vine cane that's left after pruning to the horizontal and attaching it to a guide wire. And that's what's going on in the vineyards behind our house right now. The workers bend the cane manually, then use a battery-powered hand tool to apply a "twisty tie" to hold the cane to the wire. It's the last step in preparing the vines for the growing season.

The vines have begun to leaf-out. They're really pretty this time of year.

Closer to home (in our back yard), I'm working to eliminate the last few table grape vines from the lawn. Most of them came out relatively easily (with the aid of a pick-axe), but the last three have bigger trunks and are really difficult to dislodge. I tried using my chainsaw, but the chain guide broke in the attempt. Oops. I should have tried the hand saw first.

3 comments:

  1. I love the use of a battery powered twisty tie applier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! Roots…. Big trouble sometimes, eh?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, it could come in handy in the kitchen...

    judy, and these are tough.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!