Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Tasha Tuesday

So, this showed up in the vineyard out back yesterday. It's called VitiBot and it's a driverless vineyard tractor. It spent the whole afternoon plying the vine rows, but not doing anything. I imagine that there are various attachments for whatever jobs it might do, like mowing, plowing, or trimming. I wonder if it can do spraying or harvesting? But for now it looks like trial runs. Oh, here, I don't have to imagine: check it out. The magic of the internet.

Tasha has a close encounter of the third kind.

I don't know how it works. My guess is GPS, but I don't know. At first there were people out walking behind it, but after a while they left it alone while it crawled along, turning around at the end of each row and moving over to the next. One guy stayed in the vineyard, driving a tractor the old fashioned way, spraying the vines to prevent mold. I think he was also keeping an eye on the blue beast. Tasha was curious (something new!) and ran right up to it, barking. The "bot" ignored her. Thankfully, she turned around and came back to me when I called her. I hope that the machine would sense obstacles (animals or people) in its path and stop moving. We shall see.

4 comments:

  1. Sad in some respects, because that will replace a worker who can make commonsense judgements as they operate... as much as I like modern technological advances.... this thing will be purchased and someone will lose a salary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. Fascinating. It’s like those freeway oleander trimmers in San Diego... on steroids. I guess Tasha was surprised there was no driver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William Schmitt30 April, 2024 15:36

    Very interesting technology. I remember as a switchman we had to undergo training in running remote control switch engines, and now autonomous wine tractors. Some of the companies comments have some value, the traditional straddle tractors have accidents (with deaths) and the difficulty in finding workers at all (probably on larger more commercial wineries). Then you have the Stephen King version, where your competitor hacks the bot, and cuts down all your vines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tim, ah, economics!

    mitch, I've never seen those, but I can imagine them.

    william, perish the thought!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!